这类问句可能是一般问句,但也会表示请求、邀请。偶然也可表示命令(参见第284节、第286节与第320节):
He said1,Will you be there tomorrow?
他说:你明天在那里吗?(一般问句)等于:
He asked if she would2 be there the next day.
他问她第二天是不是在那里。
Will you stand still!he shouted.
他大喊:站住,别动行不可以!等于:
He shouted at me to stand still./He told/ordered me to stand still.
他对我大喊,要我别动。/他要/命令我站着别动。
Would you like to live in New York?he asked.
他说:你想住在纽约吗?等于:
He asked if I would like to live in New York.
他问我是不是想住在纽约。
Will/Would you file3 these letters,please?he said.
他说:请把这类信件存档怎么样?等于:
He asked/told me to file the letters.
他让/告诉我把这类信件存档。
Would you like a lift?said Ann.
安说:你想搭便车吗?等于:
Ann offered4 me a lift.
安邀请我搭便车。
Would you like to come round/Could5 you come round for a drink?he said.
他说:到我家来喝点酒怎么样?等于:
He invited6 me(to come)round for a drink.
他邀请我去他家喝点酒。
Could you live on£25 a week?he asked
他问:一星期25英镑你够保持生活吗?等于:
He asked if I could live on £25 a week.
他问我一星期25英镑是不是够保持生活。
Could/Would you give me a hand?she said.
她说:请帮我一下怎么样?等于:
She asked us to give her a hand.
她请大家帮她一下。
Could/Would you show me the photos?she said.
她说:你能给我看看照片吗?等于:
She asked me to show her the photos./She asked to see the photos.
她问我能否给她看看照片。
(关于can/could/may/might+I/we?参见第283节。关于征求建议参见第131节。)